Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas!

Oh life. Such a strange and funny thing.

Lets see, where to start. I'll work backwards. Today is Christmas. Merry Christmas. I went to my parents house and we "opened presents" which I got some money and a gift card. I will be excited later when I actually use that money. The gift card is for The School Box, which I asked for, and I am excited about buying stuff for my future classroom. However, there were no presents for me to open. And it makes me think, when you take away the presents what does Christmas mean to you? What else makes the day Christmas besides the presents? The past several years we see a movie on Christmas day, so today me, my parents, and my grandparents went to see "What about the Morgans." It was a great movie! My brother Chris stayed home because he didn't want to see it. My mom always makes chocolate covered cherries and we had some of that yesterday too. Other than that I have not been feeling so great today - really tired and stomach hurts, so soon I will take a nap. Yes it's 5:30 PM, but a nap is a must. Not a very eventful Christmas day, but then again they won't always be.

Yesterday my grandparents (from NC) came and saw my house, and then we drove them around my college and showed them through the window what the buildings were because she worked there 45 years ago when it started and only had like 100 people going there. Now it has 25,000. At 4:30 I went to Northwest Christian Church to help in the nursrey - the service started at 5:00 and ended around 6:20. We had 3 babies and 2 adults, but then a third came in just because she wanted to. Well around 5:50 was when the third baby came in and she was 1 month old. She was so tiny, didn't weigh a lot, but could hold her head up. I held her the rest of the time and she was so cute! Like a baby doll. She had big blue eyes and when I held her front of the mirror she stared with big eyes. When I changed her she didn't even scream, she just looked at me like she was amazed with me. But then I couldn't get her stockings on. Changing a baby's clothes is so hard because they're so little and fragile. It took me forever and I had to hold her with one arm and pull up the stockings with the other. Note to self - don't put stockings on babies when I have one. Well then I said hello to people after the service was over and went home to eat dinner with my family.

At 10:30 I went to Mars Hill Church to go to their 11:00 serivce. It was very crowded and it was good to see some people that I don't see often and others that I do see often. It's different than it use to be though. In high school I always stood in the lobby with the other high schoolers from the youth group, and we stood in a circle and talked away, saying hello to people as they came in. Now I stand out there by myself each year since then, just to see who all comes in and still say hello to others, buy by myself. During the last two songs we always get little candles and light them all, and it always makes me nervous. One the the hot wax will get my skin, and two that someone will drop it or catch something on fire. Of the 400 something people in the room, and year after year, how could something not catch on fire? Someone's hair, clothes, bulletin, I mean something? I can't imagine being caught on fire and having to stop drop and roll if you're in the middle of the row, having to climb over people and get to an open spot while being on fire, and all the while the whole church watching you and freaking out. Ohhh my goodnses. So this whole thought process goes through my mind every christmas. Hahaha.

During the holidays it's time for the family. And I sometimes think, will I have a family with kids that don't like me when they get older? Or kids that don't like my parents? Or what if I don't like my future husband's side of the family and we have to see them every holiday? As each family is different there are sure to be people who don't get along or people who frustrate you. And yet I think back to a acronymn I heard at a conference in high school with my church about family: FAMILY - Forget About Me, I Love You! We would yell it out to everybody all the time at youth group. That's what family is supposed to be about. Forgetting about all your selfish wants and loving others. Sometimes people do that, and sometimes people don't. I wish people did more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment