Thursday, December 10, 2009

I eat my desert before my dinner and it makes me happy

Today I slept in til 11:00 and then had lunch with Jennifer Frisch at Panera Bread. It was good food and I'm glad we got to have lunch! She's a cool person and I hope we can keep in touch. Then I baby-sat for the older two of the 4 kids I "kid-sit" on a regular basis. (Since none of them are babies they prefer to call it kid-sitting but I always forget to say that.) I helped them with homework, we watched TV, and did other random things. The mom got home early, so I then went to Mars Hill to eat dinner there and two sweet girls ran to hug me. Megan is 7 and Amanda is 3 and I baby-sit for them. When I got my food they said, "Jennifer! Sit here!" So I sat with them. As their mom Brandi told Amanda she had to finish her dinner before she could have a desert (a cookie), Amanda fussed and said she was full and then she just didn't want to finish. I inwardly smiled because I ate my cookie first, as I stood in line to get my dinner, and then another one after. It's the small moments like that that make me appreciate my age. :-)



After dinner I bought stamps at the grocery store - geez they're expensive - and then went home and put stamps on the christmas cards I had, sealed them, and stuck them in the mailbox, minus a few people's who I have not finished or don't have their address yet. Even though half of those people I could hand them their card, it's more fun to send it in the mail because nobody sends stuff in the mail anymore. It's like SO last century. :-D I then watched the season finale of "Glee" which I originally thought was a stupid show, but it turned out really good! And funny. And they sing well too. I then was on the internet for a while - I played "Bejewelled Blitz" on facebook until I was #1 in my rank of friends again without feeling guilty for the amount of time I spent on it because it's not like I have homework to do - and then finished off a book. I finished reading, "Kiss" by Tedd Dekker and it was good! But the whole thing was intense. I wonder what my face looks like as I read because I'm sure it's making all kinds of expressions as I read. Ha.




Yesterday I had lunch with Kellie Dailey and that was great as well. It was a rainy day though, and the whole day looked like it was just about to be night time. I ran some errands and one was at Home Depot. Yuck. Massive confusion for me. I was looking for a certain type of screw and anchor that is supposed to hold a shelf on the wall that I bought at Wal-mart. So after asking the guys who work there, the guy looks at my directions and then says, "Well, I haven't seen a screw like that in a long time. We don't carry them." "Where can I get it?" "Well....I don't think you can." Why would they make instructions with screws that don't exist anymore?! So I said, "Well, is there something close to it that I can use?" So then they proceed to look through drawers and hooks and baskets of screws. Sizes, shapes, etc. and go on to talk about the type of wall that it could go through, etc. Wah wah wah wah wah. I nod and act like I'm interested but I'm not. I just want them to hand me the screws I need so I can pay and get out. He finally hands me some and says, "This should work if you use an elctric drill and make sure you don't put it in a...." some kind of wall. Which I knew nothing about. I paid and left. I have no elctric drill, nor would I trust myself to use it. So, I have to find someone else who can do it. All the trouble for this little shelf I bought at wal-mart. But it's pink. And it's cool looking. So I will venture on to see if I can get it up.

At the end of each day I look at my list of things to be done during my break and think, "Oh man, I know 5 weeks is a lot, but will I get it all done?" And only some of it is stuff I REALLY need to get done and don't want to. Like cleaning my room and office, selling stuff I don't want anymore on ebay, etc. But other things I DO want to do, it's just time consuming or it takes a longer amount of time. Like reading a book.

I love to read, but can only do so for about 4 hours max in one sitting. And no more than twice a day really. So that is an ongoing thing. I love books. Ooooohhhhhh I love to read. I'm glad this is something I enjoy because I can take it with me when I baby-sit and they're watching a movie or asleep, when I'm waiting in a doctor's or dentist's office, when I'm inbetween classes with no access to a computer to do homework, etc. It's portable, small, and something I love to do. I remember in middle school I bought a purse big enough to fit a book in it and always carried one with me. However, I now only read during the summer and Christmas break because I just don't have time otherwise. If I try, it interferes with class / homework because I sit down and read for 2 hours accidently (can't just read one chapter!!) instead of doing homework.

Tomorrow thrills me because my day is pretty much empty.....free to fill with wonderful things that can only be done on my breaks. This makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment