Monday, January 25, 2016

The good things in my life

Perspective is important. Seeking out what is good in your life is important. Talking about the good stuff more than the bad stuff is important. So here is what is good in my life right now.

My church, Vertical Life Church, is in a new building, and it's so great! It already feels like "home." Starting next week we will have a Wednesday night dinner every 6 weeks, and have 5 weeks of a class on Wednesday night. The first one will be about how to study the bible, and I'm excited about it! I look forward to learning more, and hopefully getting to spend time with more people in the church than those I already know. The music is always good on Sunday mornings, the sermons are always great, and I enjoy getting to talk to people before and after instead of having to help take things down like we did at the elementary school we were previously meeting in.

Bible study has been good. I have been with the same bible study for 5 and a half years. I have learned more about the bible, as well as more about myself through being on leadership. I have learned in the past year that I enjoy planning, but am not good at planning with other people or letting other people take the lead because I'm nervous that they will forget something or not get something done. I have learned that I see a lot of details in things, and therefore it gives me anxiety, so it's both a gift and a curse. I've learned that I do better planning with one or two other people, like for small groups. I've learned that I like to do things as soon as possible so that there is time to prepare, let people plan things in their schedule, and so that I don't forget.... but not everybody is like that. I've learned that I want to talk to everybody in the room on Thursday nights, but sometimes I can't, and that even if I did, the conversations might be too short to have done much good. I've learned that it's not my fault if someone stops coming, as if I didn't try hard enough to include them or love them, because sometimes they need to put effort forth too and they didn't, or it's a different reason entirely.

I have some great people in my life right now, people who enrich my life greatly. They have different perspectives and gifts and talents that they share with me, and I with them. They give input and opinions an advice into my life. They challenge me, help me grow, and inspire me to be a better person. We play games, talk about God, serve together, and learn together.

I'm reading some good books right now, there are new songs and albums I'm loving on spotify, and I've got some good tv shows I'm watching. Cadburry eggs are out and I love them.

My relationship with God has been going well. I have been spending a lot more time in prayer - some of it I type out - and have been hearing Him more. I have memorizing scripture for the first time. I have some memorized because I've read it so much, or I can summarize it but not quote it, or I know it from learning it as a song when I was little.

I have moved my work schedule to mostly 10-6. It's been good, but my sleep schedule has not caught up yet!! It frees up my nights to go to events without having to ask off from work (like a worship night, birthday parties, bonfire nights, Wednesday night classes at church, etc), and I can now have dinner with people that I couldn't before because of their work schedule. And 10:00 is still late enough that if someone wanted to get breakfast, I could have an early breakfast with someone. At work I spend half my shift with the morning people, and half of it with the night people, instead of 8 hours with the same people. That's nice too. It's less dishes. It's more floating from place to place to cover people's breaks, instead of being stuck in one place for the entire time.


No comments:

Post a Comment