Sunday, January 3, 2016

It takes time

I just posted a post before this one, describing the book I just got. Go read that one first. 

I'm only on page 47 right now, but it's good so far. 

"It takes time to grow into Jesus the Vine; do not expect to abide in Him unless you will give Him that time. It is not enough to read God's Word, and when we think we have hold of the thoughts and have asked God for His blessing, to go out in the hope that the blessing will abide. No, it requires day-by-day time with Jesus and with God." 

"You did well to come; you do better to abide. Who would, after seeking the King's palace, be content to stand in the door, when he is invited in to dwell in the King's presence and share with Him in all the glory of His royal life? Oh, let us enter in and abide and enjoy to the full all the rich supply His wondrous love has prepared for us!" 

I was driving down the road the other day, thinking about how frustrated I was by feeling like I rarely heard God say yes, or no, or later... and wondered how anybody was ever sure of what God said. I thought, how simple that is, right, to hear a yes, a no, or a later? And then I thought oh... maybe I am boxing God in. Maybe those answers are too simple. Maybe God says no to getting a specific job, but in the process of going through the interviews I end up meeting someone who helps me get a different job? That had I known God said no before, I wouldn't have even tried to go to the interview? And to the things I'm asking God "why" about, not just the answer of yes or no, do I expect it to be so basic and clear but it's really far more complex? 

Like, "God, I know you don't want me to go to Kenya again this year, I can tell, but... why?" The answers could be unlimited. He could say, "The next time you go to Africa, I want it to be with your future husband." or "You're about to get a job that wouldn't let you go to Kenya this year, and I didn't want you to get your hopes up. But you'll go again some day." or "I have so much for you to do here right now, during the time that the others are going to Kenya. It's just not the right time." 

When Murray said it takes time to grow with Jesus, it's so true. If I only come to God with requests, and not also coming to just seek God Himself, then I may not hear so well. And just being in His presence and learning more about Him instead of constantly asking for specific things or asking, "But why?" is something I need to work on. Like that phase kids go through... "It's time for bed." "Why?" "Because you need to sleep." "Why?" "So that you can wake up well tomorrow and feel all better." "Why?" "Because God made us that way!!" "Why?" ......... I don't want to be "that kid" to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment