Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Starbucks and such

Bam. It is 2012.

At the end of each night at Starbucks we get rid of the food that has expired - most of it expires each day. As much as fits into 2 bins goes to an organization that picks it up each day so that is not wasted which is nice, but the rest goes straight in the trash. It makes me cringe each time. Mostly because of Kenya. To explain to them how much food is wasted is crazy. Not that we could ship it to them. And then I think about homeless shelters or just homeless people in general in Atlanta....

I finally started being able to make Frappachinos. Score. And some of the hot drinks.

I am a rule follower. I follow rules whether people are watching or not - partly because you're supposed to, and partly because I'm always afraid of getting caught / in trouble anyways. So when people get irritated that I follow the rules, I get irritated back. Like I'm the one being annoying because I follow the rules. I don't say anything when people break the rules unless it's major, so why should people say anything when I follow them? You might get away with something 300 times, but that 301th time you get caught. A cop pulls out behind some tree you didn't see, you forget to cover your tracks, you didn't realize someone else was watching you, or a consequence happens that you didn't get the first 300 times. I'm just saying. Apparently I "break the rules" by following the rules. Yeah, I'm just cool like that.

I sat in Panera Bread the other day, waiting for the people to arrive that I was eating with, and I listened to this lady tell another lady about her time at Starbucks and the mistake they made. They fixed it, but she said, "You know, there's a bunch of young teenagers working in there." Uh, no. You have to be 18 and older to work there. Yes 18 and 19 is still teenagers (which is so weird because they're also "adults") but people in their 20's aren't teenagers. And a lot of people forget that we're human and we're taking orders and making drinks as FAST AS POSSIBLE, because heaven forbid you wait 4 whole minutes for your drink. I mean sometimes we run out of brewed coffee and have to make more, and it takes 5 minutes, and it's like they stand there and it's awkward because it's unfortunante that they have to wait that long. And people come back in (or call in if they were through drivethrough) and complain. We give new drinks to people for free if we messed up, it's not like we charge again, and I know it sucks when you the wrong thing in drivethrough, but still. Life goes on.

I'm glad all the shows I like come back on again soon...a lot stopped for the month of December.

I found some free kindle books that I actually wanted to read, and bought some with the kindle gift card my parents gave me for Christmas, so now I have a lot of new books and I don't know which to read first! Ooh!

Working 1-9 or 3-11 makes me stay up really late and just be online (facebook and pinterest), play games on my iphone (words with friends, hanging with friends, family feud and friends, and others), and read books. I wake up around noon most days.  On my days off is when I see other people, go to bible study, run errands, etc.

It's January. With the year ahead and plans already being made for the summer, the anxiety of looking for a teaching job is creeping up again. With being in Kenya in July, I know that it will be harder to look / go to interviews. And do I want to teach? I know the money would be nice, because staying at Starbucks will never provide enough money that I need in the long run. But the "safety" of staying there is already poking at me. That if I can just learn things well enough, I can stay. I know there's no need to worry, plan, or decide anything for the next few months, but it's still in the back of my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment