Wednesday, December 23, 2015

TWO words for my 2016

I've never picked a "word for the year," but we're doing it this year at bible study, so I might as well. :-) So I was thinking about it, and knew right away what I wanted to pick. But, just in case, I looked up some online to see if I liked any of them better. Nope. However, it's TWO words, because I need the adjective to make this work right.

2016: Extravagant Love.

If it were just "love," that wouldn't be good enough. Not ordinary love, not conditional love, not behind-the-scenes love.

Specifically...

~Love with my time: spending time with people I love, but also people who really need it. People who need friend time, people who don't have many friends, people who are difficult to love. I also want to use my time to volunteer at church or when people need help.

~Love with my money: I want to give more when I can, to church or to individuals, which means spending less on myself.

~Love with my strengths and talents: doing things for others based on what God has given me.

~Love with my actions: I want to write more letters to people and encourage people more, meet other people's needs when I am able to, and be intentional.

Love that thinks of others first... that lets people sit up front in the car, that helps clean up things when I don't want to, that keeps my mouth shut when I'm about to snap back something rude, and that ultimately brings glory to God. Some people haven't ever been loved with the love of Christ. Some people reject that kind of love, and are confused by it. It's kind of like when it's really dark and you turn the lights and everybody squints and grimaces and says, "Ah! That's so bright!" It's because they've been so used to the dark.

"So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.” - John 13:34-35

No comments:

Post a Comment