Thursday, December 3, 2015

Things I love and hope to be

The past few weeks have been kind of... weird. Unpredictable. In fact, I can't even think of the right word to describe it, so I'm just going to go ahead and explain why.

When I make plans to do things or be at things or get lunch with somebody, I "write it in pen." "Let me pencil that in" is not in my vocabulary. I put all of my things into my phone, but I mean I literally say, "I'll be there" or I won't. "Maybe" isn't really an option for me. I hate that there's a "maybe" option on events on Facebook, and then I made an event yesterday and Facebook changed that word to "interested." Still not a fan. I've slept in passed my alarm before and missed a few things and I HATE when I do that, so I'm not saying I've got it all together. 

This Friday we were supposed to have a worship night - we planned it a few months ago - but a lot of other things were going on and we didn't plan it, and so we cancelled it. But I'd asked off from work for it a few weeks ago, so I have Friday off. Also a few weeks ago, someone put on the church calendar that they wanted to have a family night at church for a life sized candy land game, and I wanted to do that! But it got moved too. Monday night a girl in our bible study suggested we have a girls' night this Friday, and now that is the plan! 

Saturday night of this week was supposed to be a worship night at the new church building, but we didn't get in the building in time, so it's moved to the next Saturday. But I work, so I don't know if I can get it switched or not. Thursday is always bible study, but the people's house we go to, they got lice so we had to cancel bible study (which pretty much never happens). I was supposed to get Waffle House with a friend after bible study tomorrow night, but she couldn't have made it anyways so we moved it to next Thursday instead. 

I stopped writing things on my calendar on my phone. 

Some of these things are legit reasons why things had to be moved or changed or cancelled. I'm not pointing fingers and saying people need to get it together and be more committed even. (Although some people should be.) I'm just saying that a LOT of things have been up in the air and moved all around the past few weeks. The examples above are just a few examples. People at work, we've all had to switch shifts around for different reasons, it's been hard for me to get together with some people, and it's been hard to make any plans at all in other cases, because nothing is concrete. 

There are only a few people in my life who I know won't cancel on me unless they are really sick, not just have a headache. If they have homework / work to do, they get it done before they meet with me, instead of cancelling on me because they procrastinated. If they say they'll be somewhere, I know they'll be there, they'll likely be early, and they'll likely be helping setup or tear down. Those are my favorite people. And if they can't be there, they just go ahead and say so, instead of saying, "I might be there," and then not show up. I would rather someone just say that. Only a few people in life will answer the phone when I call and just need to talk, or I text them and say, "I need to talk to you -when is the best time to do that?" and they immediately call me right then. (I mean, if one of us is at work then it doesn't work, but I mean outside of that.) I love the consistent people in my life. "See you Sunday!" I can only firmly say that to some people. To others I have to ask, "Will I see you on Sunday/ Thursday / etc?" I hope and strive to be all of those things too. Consistent, persistent, reliable, honest, and available. 

No comments:

Post a Comment