Sunday, December 5, 2010

Reading, people, leading vs following, and hair

So I'm flying through some books. I have so many that I've bought over the year that I haven't had time to read, so I'm wanting to get through a lot of them. I read one during this past semester, and then slowly through 3 others but didn't finish them until last week or this week. Now I'm picking up the pace and reading some by sitting down for hours instead of just reading here and there. A bad habit while I'm reading though is to want to eat something. It's especially bad because it's mindess when I do it - since I'm focusing on reading, I don't really pay attention to what I'm eating. So I just KEEP EATING! So I've got to cut that out, haha.

You know, one thing I find interesting is how you can meet someone and instantly click and like someone, or not like someone. And it may be unspoken, and subconcious really. Sometimes I think, "Hey, this person is really great." Of course other times it takes time to get to know someone and become close, and first impressions can always  be wrong.

Another thought.... some people are more leaders than followers, and some are more followers than leaders. It seems like on personality tests or if someone asks which you are that you're supposed to be one or the other. But I am most definitely BOTH! The leader part of me is in being an elementary teacher, helping/teaching the middle and high schoolers at church, was on youth counsel in high school where we got to help make decisions about things and help do things, and in group settings I take the lead sometimes. Other times I am a follower. Like when I went to Kenya I didn't want to lead anything because I didn't know what was going on! I wanted someone to tell me what to do, or to help do something but not do it on my own. Thankfully there were people with strong leaderships qualities in them anyways that would have led even if I wanted to. In other groups I follow as well. I guess I'm not a competitive leader. Meaning that some people feel like they HAVE to be in charge / lead, so I let them. Same with conversations in a group - if some people have a ton to say, I sit back and listen instead of being on the edge of my seat to throw something in. But if the group is a little quieter, or it's just averave, then I'll speak up and talk more. It's very rarely that I don't like letting someone else lead, but it definitely happens, and it's tough.

One last thing to add to this random post. A lot of people dye their hair, put highlights in it, straighten it all the time, curl it all the time, or just don't like their hair because it's too thick, too thin, too whatever. But I like my hair!! I like the color, I like how if I don't blow dry it it's wavy, how if I do blow dry it (and sometimes straighten it) then it's straight, and how it's thick, and more. Most days I just brush it and walk out the door, it doesn't take much upkeep. Now in middle school, that's a whole nother story!! It was wavy and stuck out and frizzy, and I did NOT like my hair back then, so thankfully it's tammed down since then! :-) Anyways, I'm just saying it's rare for people to actually like their hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment