Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Say cheese!

Sometimes we develop interests and hobbies as a kid, and sometimes we grow into them later. With photography, I think it started off when I was really little, but I enjoyed it a lot more when I was older.

I had a littl black plastic camera when I was little that really did take film - you had to open up the back, line up the film just right, and turn the wheel after very time you took a picture so the film would advance. :-) That sounds so funny now. Then I'd take it to the store and have to wait 2-3 days before it would come in. I remember bringing my camera to the last day of school in 2nd grade and only taking like 2 pictures because I was worried that cameras were toys and the teacher would take it away from me.

When I was in middle school, I brought the disposable cameras everywhere. They were always green. You still had to turn the wheel to get the film to advance, and then turn in the camera when you were done, but by then you could pay extra to get them done within a few hours. I always paid the extra with my baby-sitting money because I was so excited to get the pictures back. I mostly just took pictures when I went on youth group trips. Of course there were always pictures that weren't good because we couldn't see them like a digital camera.

In high school I just copy and pasted everybody else's pictures onto my computer - a lot of people had digital cameras but I didn't, so I took the pictures others had taken. My parents had one, so if they were around I could use it, but I wasn't allowed to borrow it because it was a big deal. My senior year in high school I got my first digital camera for Christmas - that was Dec 2005 - and that's the one I still have. It's small, and the megapixels aren't as good as the newer ones are, but it still takes great pictures. For the longest time I only had an SD card that held 100 pictures, and I didn't like deleting the pictures even after I put them on my computer, but finally got one that holds a few thousand when I went to Kenya last summer.

Since my senior year in high school, I've taken my camera  alot of places and now that I have a bigger purse I usually just keep it in there and take pictures whenever I feel like it. Sometimes it keeps me really entertained when I would normally be bored, and sometimes if I leave my camera at home for a big event then I'm really sad about it. Some day, after I've taught for a few years, I want to take pictures for a side job. Not weddings, but for things like events, senior pictures, engagement pictures, family pictures, etc. and get paid for it. I'd of course need a nicer camera! But that would be a lot of fun.

I especially like seeing old pictures of people when they're little - seeing how much they've changed or how buildings have changed. It's so much fun to me. I used to get my elementary year books and compare each person to their middle and high school pictures, to see how they changed over time. Yes, it was a rediculous, time consuming thing, but it was so fun! Especially when I had my 5th grade year book and didn't see those 2nd grade kids until I was in 12th grade and they were in 9th. To comapre their pictures was so fun because people just looked so different. I was always happy to see the dorky kids get prettier / more handsome.

By the way - who came up with "say cheese!" because I don't like it. I never say cheese for pictures, I just smile.

Some spring pictures I've taken recently (click on them to view them bigger):

No comments:

Post a Comment