Sunday, March 2, 2014

Good news, bad news... it's usually a mix of both all the time right?

Last Thursday I bought a new camera - a Canon 6D. The people ringing me up said, "We're so jealous that you are getting this!!" I said, "Well I've saved up money to get this for two years so... it's not like I'm rich. It's taken time." So I have this awesome new camera and am learning how to use it, my first DSLR, and it's frustrating because my other camera was a point and shoot and it was so quick and easy, and the pictures were good. Good, but not good enough. So now this camera takes better pictures, but I feel like I'm starting over as far as the learning curve goes and that's a bit frustrating.

I also don't have or know how to use photoshop. Sigh. It's like this big program that is so above my head. I was going to buy this online version of it (the real thing, just "in the cloud" so that you always get the new updates and stuff), but my computer is about to die, so I can't just download it now if I have to buy a new computer. Oh, yeah, my laptop that I've had for 3 or 4 years decided to slow to a halt over the past few days. I've done everything possible to speed it up, and I'm hoping I don't have to buy a new one because that would REALLY cut into my money. Like majorly. I'm just not ready to buy a new laptop yet. :-(

Anyways, on to the fantastic news!!!!

One. I am taking pictures for my sweet friend Alice and her date Josh who are going to prom next Saturday!! I am excited to take some real pictures with my new camera, and of Alice and Josh who are both awesome people, along with Alice's "family," the Bartons. Alice is a foreign exchange student from Slovakia!

Two. I am going to be taking pictures for a friend's website who sells rugs. I will take the rugs to people's houses to take pictures of them, and he's looking for about 50 photos. I will get PAID for this one, and more than I was expecting which is so awesome! And, he said the photos would also go in a sears catalog?? I'm not sure of the details of what that means but it's cool nonetheless!

Three. I work with a guy named Sean who does videos for websites, business, and just fun stuff too. He's shooting a video with the Atlanta Gymnastic Academy to advertise for them in April, and I'm going to take pictures with him! No pay, just for fun and experience. So I'll take pictures of people doing gymnastics as well as Sean and his team shooting videos. I'm pumped about it because it's so unique and different - and right up my alley of different opportunities that I've been looking for because I'm not aiming for weddings, baby pictures, family pictures, etc. I'm looking for totally different things to build up my portfolio, something that stands out and makes a magazine or company hire me, and so many people take pictures of weddings or portraits.

I'm going to make a website soon, an official one not just a facebook page, and order business cards to hand out all over the place!!!

I have photography books I want to read and videos and tutorials to watch and you know what gets in the way? (Besides work.) Things like my work pants that just ripped at work yesterday so I have to go hunt down cheap work pants. My computer dying so I have to sit here and constantly run things like scans and defragmenters to see if I can speed it up. Doing laundry. Sigh. Life stuff. But, despite the things that are slowing me down, I'm excited for all the cool things going on. I'm thankful for my friends who are excited for me. I'm thankful that when I'm having a bad day, there are friends who hug me and pray for me as I cry. I'm thankful for laughter and silliness, mixed with the depth of conversations that carry me through the week.

God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment