Monday, March 17, 2014

When I am weak, He is strong

Don't you hate when you think it's been "x" amount of time, but when you actually count / look back, it's been a lot shorter?! You think, "Oh, good for me, I haven't done _____ in x amount of weeks," and then realize it hasn't been all that long. Sigh.

Self-control is a fruit of the spirit. I've heard people say, "It's not about mustering up enough self-control, as if you produce it yourself, it comes from God." So then what, when you fail, He didn't give you enough self-control?

So when I sit in the moment before doing something I said I wouldn't, I keep thinking, "why why why why why why why??? Why am I doing this? Why should I not? Why would I regret this later? Why would I come back to this?" Sometimes it's big stuff, and sometimes it's small stuff.

Sometimes just thinking through things isn't enough, I have to write about it. To see my thoughts written down makes it more concrete, more glaringly obviously.

Other times I think, "What will the repercussions of this be tomorrow, next week, next month, next year?" Sometimes that isn't that great to ask though because there aren't any major ones that I know of, so... that question only works sometimes.

It takes refocusing a lot, switching my mind in a totally different direction. Sometimes it's productive, like learning more about photoshop right now, picture stuff, etc. Reading the bible. Reading a book. Other times it's mindless - watching tv (on my laptop), going to sleep, going to random websites. Sometimes it's revisiting the reasons in the past that have proven that my choices had negative consequences, or the words and advice of friends, mentors, and loved ones that spoke truth over me. It empowers me.

When I am weak, He is strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment