Sunday, February 23, 2014

My God is bigger

I think I've learned that on days I really want to stay home and hole up in my room, that I need to be around people even more. There are days I want to stay home from church or bible study, or when I have the opportunity to spend time with someone but just want to go home, but when I feel like that and I go be with people, I rarely regret it, and often am so thankful I went. Sometimes it's because the sermon or message at bible study hits home. Sometimes it's because I have friends to talk to, pray with, and share life with, making the load lighter. And sometimes, it is a reminder that it's not all about me, that other people have stuff going on too, and that I should be there for others too.


Today was all three. I hadn't thought about staying home, but I was just not in the mood to be around people. But I went and the sermon was great - it was about Job, but it was such a great reminder that things to have to make sense in life for us to worship God, to trust God, and to have a great relationship with Him. What we see as chaos or rejection or re-direction is simply part of God's plan. We can't just muster up the faith though, it comes from being in a relationship with Him on a regular basis, and asking God for it. I talked to friends today and it was great to catch up, and I took the time to listen to others about their weeks and what is going on in their life.


After driving with the window down in the car, getting some lunch, Starbucks, and getting a few small things at Target, I came home and wrote in my journal for like an hour. After writing about what was going on in life, I was also writing about the sermon and what I was going to pray for my friends and coworkers about, and guess what happened. I totally got distracted, and suddenly felt the need to go do something stupid. And was suddenly filled with doubts and frustrations that I was trying to ignore. Well, duh, it was satan distracting me. I refocused and got back on track. When they say that satan is the author of lies, it rings true. I saw on twitter the other day, "Comparison is the enemy of joy." I see other people who are more successful at photography, have better pictures, or have more jobs in it and think, "Well I'll never even be that good or have jobs in that," or "Of course I'm single - I'm not as pretty/cool/funny/nice/interesting as that girl." Ah, but what lies. And I image prayer being like a machine gun to those lies, hahaha. Shot down to the ground. My God is bigger than that.



No comments:

Post a Comment