Wednesday, November 24, 2010

From high school, to college, to teaching

I think we all go into new situations with some sort of hopes of how it will go, or an idea of what it might be like, good or bad. In books and on TV, the media portrays college life in many ways. They often show the fun side of college - the freedoms, the parties, friends, etc. and dont' show much of the classes and hard work. Because why would you want to watch a TV show where the person sits in class all the time? There are so many factors that change your life in college - living at home vs living with roomates, living on campus vs living off campus, the major you go into, the size college you go to, how invovled in other activities outside of school, what job (or lack thereof) you have, and more.

My thoughts before college:
As I finished my senior year of high school, of course it was a mix of emotions. I literally remember a time in 10th grade math class, talking to two of my friend Kesley and Maggie, and saying, "We only have 2 and a half more years of high school!!" because it was nearing Christmas break. All the way through high school you build up to graduation. You talk about getting out of high school and doing great things with your life, whether it's college or working. In my mind, I was going to go away to college, but when the time came, I didn't make it into the college I wanted, so I went to a nearby college. Not my first choice, but oh well.

So at the end of my senior year of high school, I was both excited and sad. I had a close group of friends that I treasured, and knew we were going to different colleges in the state, as well as one of our friends was moving across the country to California to go to college! I had several teachers I was close to as well. Going to KSU I thought that it would be exciting, but hard work of course. I thought that once I got through my core classes that I would fly through my major classes with excitement. I thought that I would eventually move out and just have a blast living on my own. I thought that I would find a part time job that I loved going to. And, that I would find a new church that I could serve in as well as grow in. I also knew that leaving the youth group at my church would be hard. I was in it for 7 years and had been through a lot with those people. I was included in that group.

After college:
And now, I'm in my 5th year of college, graduating in May. Lots of people say, "Oh wow, time flies!" but for me college has dragged on. I got together with my high school girl friends during the summer and Christmas breaks for the first two years, but then we grew apart. It wasn't abrupt, and there are still times when I miss them, but I'm not torn up about the fact that we're not friends anymore. Some of them are still closer to me than others, and I still think of them all very highly, but, life goes on. I lived at home the first two years, and am living at home again this year. It saves money. The two years that I lived out of the house was great, and it will eventually be that way again. I did struggle with my core classes. And even with many of my major classes. I've lacked friends in high school because the school is the 3rd largest in Georgia.

I went to a new church - I've been there 3 and a half years ago - and yes, I've been able to serve and grow in many different areas for both! It has been difficult with not having many young adults in the church, but we're working on a new service for young adults that will hopefully make it grow.

I haven't liked the part time jobs I've had in college. Some of them were better than others, but after time I ended up dreading to go to work each day. Whether it be the distance I had to drive (an hour home in rush hour traffic each night) or the people I worked with, not getting enough hours, not enough pay, being really bored with the job....there was just always something that made me leave.

Now I am looking forward to being a teacher. Oh I know the ups and downs that will come with it. I'm not thinking that it will be all happy stuff that I will just fly on throuh. But I hope that it's something that I will love. And, I have to keep in mind - my job is not my entire life. It does not define who I am. There are other things that go on outside of a job.

And so, another chapter in my life is about to come to a close. I am not reluctant for this change like I was for leaving high school. There are no deep friendship or emotional ties to college. I have made some friends through the process, but I know I can keep in touch with them if I want to - it's not like many of them are going away after college.

My hopes for being a teacher - I hope that I have a good principal and staff. I hope that I have a great class. I hope that I have good teachers in the grade I work with. I hope the drive is not too far. I hope that I am not stressed a lot or consumed (too much) by teaching. I hope that I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment