Sunday, November 7, 2010

My plate is full

Sometimes when our plates are full in life, we have to choose what we say no to. Other times it just overflows and something falls off that we don't necessarily choose. Or both.
My plate consists of......

1. Helping with the middle and high school youth group at my church. Sun mornings hs sunday school, sun nights youth group, planning meetings once a month, the events and trips that happen. I've done this for 3 and a half years, but starting in January this is one that will be "kicked off" my list of things to do. I will still go on trips and events when I'm able to, but all else will be dropped in this area. Part of me is sad because I enjoy this, but I may pick it up again in the next few years.

2. My church is starting a Sun night service for young adults that starts in January. I'm on the planning team where we choose the logo, talk about everything, etc. I will be singing some on Sunday nights (which includes practices), and helping with some of the online part of advertising or whatever else they need. Since it will be on Sunday nights, that's part of why I can't help with youth anymore - that will take place of me helping with the youth group. I currently go to Sun morning worship service, and in Jan I'll go Sun nights instead.

3. At my other church....yeah, I kind of go to two.... I've been "hired" a few weeks ago to do 4 hours of work each week (paid) related to Kenya stuff. I went to Kenya twice and have gone to meetings over th past 4 years. I'll be doing things like excell spreadsheets, helping with the website, facebook, picture related things, making powerpoints when we present to the church or other organizations, etc. It's mainly computer related stuff which I like. It's so much fun!

4. Nursrey once a month. However, this may be something I have to drop since I won't be going to church Sunday mornings, only Sun nights, and I'll be singing or in the service.

5. Student teaching. Writing lesson plans, grading papers, creating centers, writing reflections, etc. I'm in the classroom full time right now but just teaching a little, and will be full time student teaching starting in January. It will be my unpaid job! Haha. I had 4 classes this semestser that were 10 weeks long and now they're done which is good.

6. I baby-sit whenever possible. Now I mostly only do it on the weekends because I have to go to bed early on weeknights.

7. I go to 2 bible studies. Yep. I know one should be dropped, but I'm not sure if I will or not. One is with a church called Northstar. We meet at someone's house each Thur night, and there's a lot of young adults who go. I've met some awesome people through that and we read straight from the bible and then discuss. And, there are guys my age there. Since I'm going to be a teacher I'm seeing less and less guys my age of who I'd ever go out with! And the other bible study is with my church, Northwest Christian Church. All 4 of us. ;-) Yeah, it's tiny - it's fluxuated a lot over the past few years since people have moved, gotten married, etc. and now we're down to a tiny group, hoping to grow with our new service in Jan. But I still learn a lot from the bible study and we have good discussions. The deep questions are asked. Soon, however, I may have to start practicing with the praise band on Wed nights instead, and in Jan we may be getting a new leader to lead our group, so I'm not sure if this is something that I will continue going to.....it all depends.

8. Ummmm, I am never bored. :-) Despite all of the above 7 things, I do try to have a social life. And with all the activity going on, part of me needs to balance all that out with ME TIME!!! In which I read books, watch a few TV shows on my computer, play computer games, sing, take lots of pictures, get on facebook, write consistantly in my journal, and quiet times with God. I like going to bookstores and starbucks. I like lists, goals, planners, and filing cabinets. :-) But my room is super messy. As in you can hardly walk in it.

9. Soon I will be looking for a full time teaching job. I have to pass a test to get my certification (which I need to study for), then get a resume and application together, go to interviews, buy things for my classroom once I get a job, and get everything together. My next few years will be incredibly busy.

So, to everything else that is offered to me, I have to say no! Through all of this, and other people's busy schedule, our schedules have become more important than people. It's like a miracle when I can actually get together with people. Which is sometimes really frustrating. I mean, I know what it's like to be busy. But why is that an excuse? Pick a time when you're not busy, and let me know! ya know? I mean, if I can make time in my schedule to have dinner with somebody, why can't they? Anyways, just me venting for a minute. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment