Friday, August 27, 2010

Running this race called life

Today I went to the Scholastic Book warehouse because they were doing a sale where books were 50-80% off!! And because I was an "educator" I got $10 off. I got some super great books!!!! LOVE IT!!! I tried hard to not let my interests / tastes in books get in the way - I got some books for boys, some that were for spanish speakers, some that were for african-americans, some that were science or history based, etc.

I also went to Office Depot and got 35 red folders and 35 green folders because each folder was one penny! So I spent 65 cents on two folders for each of the kids I'll have in my class someday! That way they can all have one. They could only do 10 folders per transaction, so I had to stand there a do a lot, but that's ok. I also got some rulers for a penny each, but those could only have 3 per transaction, so I got less of those.

I'm really excited to be a teacher!! It's encouraging to hear of teachers who still love their jobs, even years or decades later. When I had a roomate, she taught 2nd grade and she was sick one day and had to call in for a sub. She said ,"Oh, I miss my kids!" and that was encouraging to hear. I haven't had a part time job yet where I've looked forward to going to work, unless I was excited to see someone I worked with. I know I have some ideas of what teaching will be that will be wrong when I get into it. That all the kids will like me, or that all of them will learn a ton and life will be grand. But I do hope that for the most part I'll love my job.

A funny thing happened yesterday. I was standing at the crosswalk waiting to cross the street to go to class, and it was raining. I had my umberella thankfully. The sun was also out so it was pretty bright. A random guy next to me said, "Isn't it bad luck when the sun is out and it's raining?" Huh?? Never heard that one before. I said, "I don't think so. It means there's more of a chance of rainbows." I said. He nodded. And I thought, that's how I always want to look at things in life. When something isn't exactly going that great, I don't want to see it negatively, I want to see it positively. Easier said than done, but I'm working on it.

Today as I was e-mailing a friend we were talking about sinning and how sometimes no matter how much we try, we still do, or no matter how bad we know it is, we do it anyways. What a frustrating thing! Paul in the bible even says the same thing, that we do what we don't want to do, and don't do what we want to do. I wrote to her and said, "I guess if we didn't ever sin and were able to stop on our own, we'd think we didn't need Jesus to save us. We'd think we didn't need His grace to get into heaven since we could stop being bad ourselves and get into heaven ourselves." I hadn't really thought of it that way before. It's something I've been thinking about a lot lately, and that kind of made sense. We ALL sin and fall short of His glory. But if we didn't all sin, Jesus coming to die for us would have been pointless. Not that it's ok to sin, or we shouldn't care.

Lastly I will say - it baffles me that there are people who love to exercize!!! Hahah! I do not enjoy it!! Since moving back home with my parents I've been walking on the treadmill lately (MAN I hate going up a size in jeans!! Trying to get that back down!!) and I dont' like it. I listen to music or read (because I walk not run), and I just hate the whole process. I have the wii fit plus and although some of the games are fun, it doesn't burn many caleries. It's more of a fun thing than a workout thing. But, whatever, it must be done.

Here's a picture of me holding our "science badge" our teacher gave us. She said kids love it and get so excited about it, even though it's such a simple / cheap thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment