Saturday, January 25, 2014

I got in to Portfolio Center!

I got accepted into Portfolio Center yesterday, a school in Atlanta, where I will study photography for two years and have a certificate at the end of it! My orientation and first day is March 31. It's on the quarter system. 11 weeks of classes, then two weeks off. That sounds so cool compared to semesters, but it will be weird going straight through for 2 years without a major break. I will be working part time at Starbucks, but I don't know how many days / hours yet because I don't know what my schedule will be, and I don't know how hard the work load will be. The people at Portfolio Center say 20 hours is the most people work while in the school, but I know a lot of people who work full time and go to college, so we'll see.


I hope to make great new friends there. I hope that I love every single bit of the classes, the work, taking pictures, etc. I hope that I rise to the top and do work that is so amazing and that I get a great job shortly after finishing there. I think it will be nice sometimes too to sit in Starbucks and edit pictures, and doing whatever "homework" type of stuff there is. To talk to people and friends when I need a break.


It's weird to think I'll be at Starbucks another two years... 4 years total... but it will be a blessing because I'll have insurance, 401k, a flexible schedule to change every quarter, and of course, free and/or discounted coffee!!


Being that God gave me this talent and dream and ability to go to Portfoilo Center, I want to take pictures that also glorify God. I want to take pictures that make people think, and inspire them to seek God. I'm not sure what that will look like or how I will do that, but I want to try.


I'm guessing there will be quarters where I have class on Thursday night, so I won't be able to go to bible study. :-( But it's only for a season. And if I end class at 9:00, then maybe I can still stop by the bible study at 10:00 when there will still be a few people there and say hello on my way home.


Some of my friends are calling all of this an adventure and one of my friends said they look forward to seeing me grow. It really is that - an adventure. Besides learning a lot and doing a lot, I want to write about what it's like to be in class, what it's like to take pictures, and about the people I meet. It will be good for networking and helping each other get jobs in the future since there are other programs there besides just photography, but also, for me, it's another set of people that will be a mission field, where I will get the chance to show more people who Jesus is. What a joy! I hope to meet other Christians that become close friends, but also I hope to connect with those who aren't so that I can love them and show them that God is real and loves them.



No comments:

Post a Comment