Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Friendship Takes Work to Grow

We run through an obstacle course,
High and low, with ease and with force.
We travel up mountains with beautiful views
And walk through dark valleys with no shoes.
An ebb and flow,
A yes and no,
A stop and go.
I don’t know what I feel
But it’s real.
It’s hard to put into words as it is usually a heartache
But sometimes it takes a break
And is a touch of relief with peace.
When does this all cease?
Is it worth it?
Sometimes I feel like I’ve been hit
By a few trucks.
Man that sucks.
I can’t pinpoint why
I even try.
Wise people in my life say to let it all go
But no
Something in me pushes to continue on this road
Where the load
Is both a joy and a strain.
I praise God through the sun and through the rain
Because He knows what’s going on
Even when my hope is gone.
For now I will put this battle on hold.
I just don’t know if I’m sold
On the idea of having a friend who
Doesn’t want to know much about my life besides through
Facebook statuses or a tweet.
And if seeing me a few times makes you want to retreat,
Why should I try?
Sigh.
So I will hold back for now.
If you want to be real friends you have to learn how
To care.
To ask questions. To be there.
To cheer when I fly,
To hug me when I cry.
Real friends live life together.
So whether
You and I get to that point or not,
It’s up to you and I know that’s a lot
To consider but my heart
Is too big to be half-friends with someone because part
Of my personality is to go all out in things that I do.
It’s time for me to emotionally run away from you.
If you change your mind let me know.
A friendship takes work to grow.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment