Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Difficult customers

I checked out Harry Potter 4, the movie, from the library. The first thing I've checked out there. I'm stoked that I didn't have to pay for it! They pretty much have no movies at this particular library because it's out in the boondox, but it has all the Harry Potter movies! Sweet.


In working with difficult and complaining customers, I've learned to empathize with them and agree with whatever they say, and for some reason it makes them feel better. I help them throw a giant pitty party, and then we can move on. For example, people come in towards the end of the night and we only brew Pikes Place coffee from about 6:00 on because it gets slow and we waste so much coffee if we brew 3 kinds. Some people come in and complain that Pikes is gross and are mad. I usually say, "I know, I agree that Pikes tastes bad! But corporate is the one that determines what we brew, we don't get a say in it." (I don't like any of the brewed coffee, haha) One time a lady was complaining that she bought a gift card and the holders are poorly designed so that it's easy for people to misunderstand how to put it in right, and they fall out. She was so mad about her card falling out, practically yelling at me as if it were my fault. I got "worked up" with her in saying, "Oh no! That's terrible! I'm so sorry! That really stinks! Here, let me show you how to work them, and if you want I can put tape around the edges." And then I try to end with, "Is there anything else I can do to help?" Overall my stragey has worked well, because then I'm agreeing with them and not "against" them.

The beach trip in May was cancelled because a bunch of people were unable to go, but we found more people so now we are still going, just to a different beach house. Still so glad to be going though!

I saw the movie The Hunger Games this week. It was long! But pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment