Monday, December 19, 2011

Facebook Starbucks Christmas friends 2011

You know those boxes on your starbucks cups that say, "Shots, milk, syrrup" etc? They were there because the baristas used to write on them so the person knew what drink to make. And they'd write your name too. I remember that because people used to use funny names like Spongebob or Batman or whatever. But now it's all done by stickers that print out on the little machines that you stick on the cup, and then you just call out the drink order instead of the name. Well I'm glad for the stickers because I'm sure I'd mess it up if I had to write it. On the computer screen we use to ring people up, on the right side is tabs for each of those boxes though. So if  you say, "Soy" or "non fat" for the milk, you go over to that tab and then find the milk. Sometimes though, there are things I can't find. Like what type of drink it is. Or things like banana. I have to say into my headset to the other people I work with, "Where's the banana button?" or with the pastries, "Uhh, is the marble cake considered a cake or a pound cake or a loaf?" because there are different categories to find the food under.

The headsets make it hard to hear in general. When a person I'm speaking to in person is quiet, even though i'm standing right in front of them I'm really only hearing out of one ear because the other one is covered by the headset. If someone is ordering drive through at the same time, it's really 2 people talking in my ears, so I have to move it out of the way. Even the people I work with sometimes talk really quietly into the headsets to us across the room and I'm like, "What did you say? I can't hear you!" It's cool though so that you don't have to yell, or if someone is in the back doing dishes and you need them up front you just push the button to talk to them instead of having to walk back there.

While I'm getting better at the cash registar, I still have a hard time finding the buttons fast enough when I'm doing drive through. Especially when people rattle off more than one drink right in a row. Others can hear the drink when they're not at the registar and just remember it, make it and then ring it up. I cannot! If I'm not standing right there pushing the buttons, I can't remember at all. Maybe I will be better at that some day.

I can't make many drinks yet, and I'm painfully slow at it as it is. A lot of times the person makes the drink and has it done before I finish ringing someone because they are so fast and I'm so slow. I KNOW I am still brand spanking new - I mean, I've only worked 3 weeks - but I'm so ready to know what I'm doing, to be good at it and fast at it. But with all new things to learn, it takes time. And there is nothing you can do to speed up that process.

Christmas eve is Saturday. I work 2-6:30, then help in the nursrey at 7 at my church, then go to the christmas eve service at 11 PM with my home church. Christmas is Sunday and my Starbucks is closed that day - many others are still open. I don't really know what we're doing for Christmas day. My grandparents will be in from NC, but as far as presents, my dad bought himself a new guitar, my brother wanted money for a fraternity fee, I wanted money for a new camera (haven't decided which one to get yet), and not sure what my mom is getting. But no real presents to open. I guess we'll just eat food and sit around. Ha.

The new facebook timeline is finally becoming public! Finally! I had it in September or so, and no one else could see it so I switched back to the old version, but now it's up and running. It's funny to see the people I was friends with in 2006 that I'm not friends with anymore...some I forgot about becasue I just had one class with them in college, or that were friends of friends. I generally don't like when facebook changes things, but I really like this one! While I'm excited about the new layout and the ability to search through my past and others, I'm sure it strikes fear into others who didnt' have a good past or now they can see all their ex-boyfriends / girlfriends comments again, or if they are a christian now and weren't before, or if they were partying it up in college but are now in a more serious work place. Blast from the past! Heads up, everything you put on the internet will never ever go away! Wheeeeee! Hahaha.

The facebook cover, the big top picture, now lends for a lot of creativity for those who want to or know how to do it. I made a collage of things that happened in 2011. I've seen on google other people's cover pictures that were really creative.

As 2011 comes to a close, we always write our summary of the year for our Christmas newsletter sent to my parents friends. This year I student taught, graduated college, had a summer internship, and started working at Starbucks. I'm getting ready for Kenya next summer. I also keep a running list ALL year of my "firsts" each year. Like this year was the first time I went to Helen Georgia, Little Five Points in Atlanta, switched from a flip phone to a smart phone (iphone), had my own office and desk, taught full time during student teaching, learned how to use many coffee machines (not only at Starbucks but also Kureig machines and a basic cofffee maker), got a kindle, tried nutella, got my wisdom teeth removed, and more. It is fun to look back at the end of the year at my list and post it on facebook.

Sometimes there are people in life that when you talk to them, it makes everything seem ok in life. Like even if you have a bad day or a bad week, or there are ridiculous people making your life a pain, if you talk to certain people, it all seems like not such a big deal. Does that make sense? You feel like you can bear or handle anything as long as you are able to talk to that person about it, because you know they'll care, they'll listen, they'll pray for you, they'll make you laugh about it, they'll give you a different perspective on it, they'll give you advice, they'll cheer you on in life. I love those people that cheer me on in life, and I try to do the same for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment