Tuesday, July 4, 2017

The Battle of Jericho

I don't know if you're familiar with the story of Joshua and battle of Jericho from Joshua 6, but the summary is this: God asked Joshua to circle the town of Jericho once every day for 6 days, and then 7 times on the 7th day. Then the walls of the town collapsed and the people could go straight in.
A few years ago, I felt the Lord telling me to be persistent in something, and it sounded crazy to me. One day I when I was at church on a Sunday morning, it was just on my heart and mind, but I was angry about it. I got up in the middle of the service with tears already coming down my face, and went to the bathroom. On the way, I was telling God that I quit - that I was giving up on this thing He told me to be persistent in. I told Him it was crazy, that it wasn't possible, and that I was just done.
We were in an elementary school at the time, and I went into one of the stalls to close the door behind me. But it wouldn't close. I looked at the hinges of the door and nothing seemed to be holding it up. I pushed again and again, instead of just going to a different stall. And then I felt like God said, "I'm not asking you to close that door," meaning the situation I was telling God I wanted to get out of, and the clarity of it stopped me in my tracks. And then the bathroom stall door closed with no problem. It was weird / awesome.
Like I said, it's been a few years. And I'm still metaphorically marching around Jericho. And on days I sit and wonder if I'm still on the right track, I go back and read all the times I felt God speaking, guiding, directing, and leading in this one area, and am amazed at the multitude of times He spoke. So I encourage everyone to write things down more often, look back on things more often, and listen more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment