Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Going back to Kenya

I am going back to Kenya in 3 days!! It's been 8 years since I've gone. When I went the last two times, it was like I was waking up from a long dream. That I was fully awake there. Fully aware of everything. Maybe it's because everything is literally foreign. Maybe it's because I'm not on my phone or laptop while I'm there so I'm fully present. Anyways, I'm excited, but also a little anxious. As I've gotten older, when I get too hungry, I get shaky and weak. I feel more tired more often. I need more medicine than I used to. I know, I'm only 29, but whatever, it's true. And the whole process of going through the airports and flying is also a little stressful. I hate packing, and you can't just buy something there if you forget it when you're in the middle of nowhere.

My SD card has space for 8,900 pictures. I did the math and momentarily panicked - is 635 pictures a day enough space?? Then remembered I won't be taking that many on the days I fly to and from. So I re-did the math and it was 752 a day. I also realized nobody - including myself - wants to look at 8,900 pictures from a two week trip. Ain't nobody got time for that. I think it kind of freaks me out because on a day that I'm taking pictures of an event - like a church picnic, VBS, etc - I take about 300 in two hours. However, some of those are one shot taken three times in a row in case the person blinks. Or from several different angles / zoomed in and zoomed out, up and down and sideways. So I would only actually use one or two out of each 5ish if it was of a person.

I will have access to the internet at the hotel I've been told, so I will be updating every night probably. It'll be very different than the past two trips where I could only call home every few days and that's it.

So ready to go! I've always said I would go back someday, and "someday" has arrived!

No comments:

Post a Comment