Saturday, December 7, 2013

Huge

Things that are big deals
Change with age,
With time,
With circumstances,
And with growth as a person.

So here it goes.

Opening presents on Christmas day or your birthday
Getting 10 extra minutes on the playground
Class parties with cookies and decorations, valentines from friends, and hugs all around
That boy circling "no" when you send him a note to ask if he likes you
Insults about your handwriting, your clothes, your personality
Sleepovers
Having a best friend to do everything with
Playing piano for the 5th grade talent show
Getting glasses
Saying goodbye to friends and teachers as middle school looms ahead

Growing apart from your elementary best friend "forever"
Struggling with school for the first time
Being made fun of left and right
Youth group events, lock-ins, and trips
Having no friends in school
Eating lunch in the bathroom at school every day for a year
Feeling depressed but not sure why
Getting contacts
Fighting for first chair in the clarinet section and always coming up at second
Having teachers who care and encourage and pour into you, making you feel hopeful
The fear that high school could be worse than middle school

A group of friends through thick and thin
Teachers that meant the world to me
Getting my license
Going on trips and competitions with chorus
Singing the National Anthem at graduation all 4 years
Not having a date for prom and literally being the 9th wheel in the group
Having someone sweet enough to anonymously pay for my way to prom
Wishing I had a boyfriend
More amazing youth trips and events
First jobs that sucked
Saying goodbye to my best friends

Not getting into the college I wanted to
Living on my own with a roommate for two years in a cute house that I adored
Occurring debt but not really caring
Hating classes and homework, drowning in the amount of work
Jobs, jobs, jobs
Falling in love with guys who didn't love me back
Graduating
Discovering at the end of college that I didn't want to teach and standing with a  blank canvas of life ahead of me
Going to Kenya twice and returning home with a new perspective on life
Turning 21
Single and hating it
Going to weddings and baby showers for friends, bittersweet
Watching guys I used to like go on to date and marry other people
Moving back home
Finding a bible study group and friends towards the end of college that changed my life

Paying off debt
Job searching
Feeling trapped in a job
Uncertain of anything with no end to anything
Transitions between churches and serving
Searching for a new job / career path
Stupid mistakes and decisions and choices
Paying off debt but maybe getting more soon
Still single... still hating it
Breaking the monotony of life to pursue a dream that could flop or fail or blow up in my face
Praying that He lead me because I am unsure of where I am going
Moving on from things and situations that aren't good
A mission trip to Slovakia
Learning when to let myself feel and hurt, and when to push the feelings away and move on
Feeling worn down from coworkers words and attitudes towards me, and praying God gives me strength to love them and turn the other cheek

No comments:

Post a Comment