Tuesday, October 30, 2012

His Word

The first time I read the whole bible I started when I was in 8th grade and finished in 10th grade, so 13-15 years old. The second time I read it was when I was 17 and I read it in a year. The third time I read it when I was 19 and I read it in 6 months to get a better overview / timeline and how everything connected. All three were hard to do. But good too.

It's been a while since I've had a constant "quiet time" or daily time with God. I don't know why. But sometimes in the middle of you teaching and "preaching" to somebody else, you're convicted yourself. Yesterday, Sunday, we talked to our 9th and 10th grade girls about relationships and how to be careful in relationships even in high school that could affect your marriage. We also brought up the verse that said while you're single all of your attention is on the Lord and when you're married it is divided. I encouraged them to pursue the Lord SO much during this time in their life, even while they are young and may be far from marriage. And I thought, "Well, what about me?" While am definitely pursuing the Lord and praying and growing, my time alone with God is lacking right now.

Soooo I've decided to read the bible all the way through again. I will be blogging about it as I go. I'll probably read a devtional book along the way too. I don't know how long I will take to read it, we'll see how it goes.

While all the beautiful things and ugly things of the world both distract and trip us up, they should not control us. I am in need of God's peace and joy. I am in need of direction in a job / career. I'm in need of self-control in many areas, one being my attitude at work and not joining in on the complaining about customers and pretty much everything else. The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control. If I am lacking those, then it goes to show I need more time with God.

If anyone who happens to read this wants to read along or join in and add comments please do!

No comments:

Post a Comment