Saturday, December 6, 2014

King of Kings

There's this game on Facebook (that can also be played on your phone) called Candy Crush. It sounds like a stupid game. It's not. It's fun...but addicting. The same company made another game similar to it called Candy Crush Soda with a similar concept but different rules. There are unending levels to this game, meaning that they continuously make more levels. Hundreds. Hours. At some point, if you get stuck and just have to move past a level, you can use real money to get things like more moves or special items to help you win the level. And while it's only 99 cents to $5 at a time, it starts to add up. And suddenly you check your bank account and realize you just spent $30 in two days on a stupid game.

This company also makes a lot of other games, and clearly they are doing well. I used to play Candy Crush so much that I deleted it because I was on it too much and spending too much money. And then when it had been about 6 months of not playing it, I thought it'd be fine to play the similar game to this, Candy Crush Soda. I'm in the same boat. I had to delete it.

A few days ago, before I deleted it, as I waited for it to load, the company's name showed up on a screen of it's own for a moment, and somehow, after the massive amount of time I'd played these games, I didn't know the company's name. It was, "King." Talk about a punch in the face. King - reigning over me. Controlling me. Putting this feeling in me of an inability to walk away from this game.

Jesus is called the King of Kings a few times in the bible, and "King" many other times. God is also called King over and over again. "Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for I pray to no one but you." - Psalm 5:2. I can just imagine satan laughing at the idea of this company being called King and knowing the distraction, addiction, laziness, wastefulness, and lack of good time management this company would produce through these games. "The time for judging this world has come, when satan, the ruler of this world, will be cast out." - John 12:31. Satan is described as the ruler of this world... but far from a king. He is the ruler of all things that pull us away from God. And may our eyes be opened to that. May we catch it quicker, fight back harder, repent sooner, and flee faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment