Tuesday, June 3, 2014

God is able to do anything

The story of Gideon in the bible is becoming one of my favorite stories in the bible. I have read it several times over the past year, and this past Sunday our pastor did a sermon on it.

I like that God used a guy who was a "nobody" and chose him to lead an army and defeat the bad guys. I like how God sees the army as being "too big" even though it's a third of the size of the army, and says that if they won the battle with that many people, they would claim that they did it on their own so he reduces them from 100,000 men to 300 men, so that the odd seemed impossible, and so that God could show His power through that! I like how Gideon asked for sign and direction from God, and God answered.

Sometimes I feel like the odds are against me in life or in circumstances, big or small. What I need to remember is that God is able to do anything.

Last week I was running some errands before work, and then ate lunch before going to work. I was praying for and about someone, and I prayed, "God, can I see them today? Even if it's just briefly? I just want to see them. Maybe they'll be at Target or Moe's or wherever I'm going." There wasn't a major reason for me asking, it was just in my mind. Well, as I drove to work, thinking, "Well it's too late now, I won't see them today," I saw them getting out of their car in a parking lot on my way as I drove! I laughed out loud because I literally "saw" them, and that was it. But it happened. It's like God had a sense of humor enough to say, "Ok, you can see them now!" Because even though it was a brief moment, it was still the exact moment I drove by. God's timing is perfect, even in silly and little things.

Sometimes I feel like God is silent when I pray for a new job or for other situations I've prayed about for years. But I have to remember that He is still there, ready to set things in motion when it's the right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment