Tuesday, May 20, 2014

It's my birthday I can write if I want to

Thursday was my 26th birthday. Not too young, not too old. Maybe this is the ideal age, your mid to late 20's. Well, if it is, I've gotta live it up. ;-)

Thursday night was bible study as normal. We had cookie cake for my friend Katie and I - her birthday was Sunday. Friday I went to Chili's and 11 of my friends came! (And 3 little kids) I had dessert and so did a few others, and others had dinner. It was fun. Saturday night we had a "formal" with our bible study. I took pictures but danced as well. Sunday was church and my friend Bryan preached. I had Thursday through Sunday off from work and used some vacation hours, and it was SO GREAT. Why am I working again? Oh yeah, life requires it. Bummer.

I use my birthday sometimes as a checkmark for life. New Year's Day / Eve is when people reflect on the year and make goals and such, and I do that too, but my birthday, 5 months into the year, is like a mid-year checkup, or even reflecting on the whole year up to my last birthday as well. How did I spend my time? Did anything change or is everything the same? Am I any further along with photography? (Yes by the way... thankfully yes.) What bad habits do I still need to kick? What spiritual disciplines am I still lacking in? How is my relationship with God? Are there any broken relationships with people in my life that I need to work on? What needs to change? What needs to stay the same?

I have been at Vertical Life Church since September, so for 8 months, and that was a change since my last birthday. I am so thankful for it. The pastor has great sermons, I love seeing my friends every week and having people to sit with instead of sitting alone, the music is great, and it's small so I can meet new people and see them again every week instead of only seeing them once in a blue moon. It's also nice that my friends don't have their phones out playing games or texting people during church - they want to listen, learn, and grow as much as I do.

I started meeting with my friend Katie every week starting in August, and what a blessing it has been! We've missed a few weeks here and there because of our schedules, being sick, etc. but overall we've been pretty consistent. Besides being in the word more often and encouraging each other, it's always good to share our lives with each other and talk things out!

My friend Tim started working at Starbucks about a year ago now, as a shift leader, and he left a few weeks ago, making him at my store about a year. I enjoyed working with him - we laughed a lot, sang songs, talked a lot, and vented together. I was honest with him and shared my struggles and sad days with him, and he did with me a well (for the most part, hahaha). He went to another Starbucks and I miss him a lot. I know time will lessen the pain, but really, missing someone is a terrible feeling.

This month of May has a been an exciting one for the people in my life as well! 5 friends graduated from their master's degree from seminary. My younger cousin Emily got engaged (and is getting married in September... so I'll be flying out to Washington!)! My parents are playing in their band at Six Flags on Thursday for the opening of the tropical water park area - it's "media day" so it's only open to the media. And then next weekend they're playing at a Chick-fil-a that is a tropical theme in Newnan! So cool! My brother just got his first car and his first job this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment